The Mary Mulvihill Association was set up to commemorate the life and work of science writer and journalist Mary Mulvihill (1959-2015) and to promote her legacy. The association has undertaken several projects since its inception:
- Award – A bursary award of €2000 has been awarded annually since 2017 for student media projects on science-related topics
- Archive – An archive representing Mary’s work has been collated and now resides in the Library at Dublin City University.
- Ingenious Ireland – Mary’s 2002 book, long out of print, has been republished by Four Courts Press with support from the association, and went to a second reprint.
- Plaque – A plaque honouring Mary and her contribution to Irish science journalism has been installed on the house in which she lived in Manor St, Stoneybatter, Dublin. The plaque was erected by the National Committee for Commemorative Plaques in Science and Technology and the Mary Mulvihill Association.
The Association is run in accordance with a Governing Instrument and the day-to-day affairs are managed by an Executive Committee of 15 members. The founding officers of the association were: chairperson, Margaret Kelleher; treasurer, Ena Prosser; secretary, Anne Fitzgerald.
The Mary Mulvihill Association invites supporters to become members and help directly our efforts to promote Mary’s legacy, to spread the word about our activities and to influence their development.
An Annual General Meeting of members is held in November each year.
- 2021 Minutes AGM of Mary Mulvihill Memorial Association 25 November 2021
- 2020 Minutes AGM of Mary Mulvihill Memorial Association 26 November 2020
- 2019 Minutes AGM of Mary Mulvihill Memorial Association 27 November 2019
- 2018 Minutes AGM of Mary Mulvihill Memorial Association 21 November 2018
- 2017 Minutes AGM of Mary Mulvihill Memorial Association 22 November 2017
- 2016 Minutes AGM of Mary Mulvihill Memorial Association 23 November 2016
Executive Committee 2023
- Brian Dolan – Chair and Honorary Patron
- Sylvia Leatham – Secretary
- Aileen McGrath– Treasurer
- Carmel Hennessy – Membership Secretary
- Eoin Bairead
- Fiona Doris
- Nigel Monaghan
- Eoin Murphy
- Anne Mulvihill
- Deirdre Ni Dhuillearga
- Rebecca O’Neill
- Liam Ryan
- Cormac Sheridan
Honorary Members of the association:
- Marlene Meyer is an Honorary Members of the association
The following are past members of the association:
- Josephine Funge (deceased)
- Kitty Kelly (deceased)
- Phil McGrath (deceased)