The Mary Mulvihill Association was set up to commemorate the life and work of science writer and journalist Mary Mulvihill (1959-2015) and to promote her legacy. The association has undertaken several projects since its inception:
- Award – A bursary award of €2000 has been awarded annually since 2017 for student media projects on science-related topics
- Archive – An archive representing Mary’s work has been collated and now resides in the Library at Dublin City University.
- Ingenious Ireland – Mary’s 2002 book, long out of print, has been republished by Four Courts Press with support from the association, and went to a second reprint.
- Plaque – A proposal has been submitted to the National Committee for Commemorative Plaques in Science and Technology for a memorial at Mary’s Dublin home.
The Association is run in accordance with a Governing Instrument and the day-to-day affairs are managed by an Executive Committee of 15 members. The founding officers of the association were: chairperson, Margaret Kelleher; treasurer, Ena Prosser; secretary, Anne Fitzgerald.
The Mary Mulvihill Association invites supporters to become members and help directly our efforts to promote Mary’s legacy, to spread the word about our activities and to influence their development.
An Annual General Meeting of members is held in November each year.
Executive Committee 2022
- Therese Caherty and Noirin Mulvihill – Co-Chairs
- Fionnuala Murphy – Secretary
- Aileen McGrath– Treasurer
- Carmel Hennessy – Membership Secretary
- Brian Dolan – Honorary Patron
- Nigel Monaghan
- Anne Mulvihill
- Deirdre Ni Dhuillearga
- Rebecca O’Neill
- Liam Ryan
- Cormac Sheridan
- Fiona Doris
The following are Honorary Members of the association:
- Josephine Funge
- Kitty Kelly
- Phil McGrath
- Marlene Meyer